Autism Awareness

Did you know that April 2nd is declared Autism Awareness day? The month of April is now declared Autism Awareness month. The current facts relating to autism are astonishing: 1 in 110 children are affected by autism and 1 in 70 boys are affected.




We have been told by multiple, credible sources that our daughter Katie is on the autism spectrum. She is high functioning and is thought to have aspergers. Unfortunately, we cannot find a doctor who seems to care. The only diagnosis we could get out of a doctor is that she has a cognitive disorder, sensory disorder and a developmental delay. This tells us nothing, nor does it benefit her in any way. A different pediatrician has told us that she doesn’t care to label kids and that it would do us no good anyway. Sometimes I wonder if it really wouldn’t do any good to get a diagnosis. I mean I know that I wouldn’t look at my Katie any differently, nor would I treat her any different. But when I really sit down and think about it I am reminded that if we get a diagnosis it would be for Katie’s benefit and not my own. She would then have an understanding as to why she is different compared to her peers, she would have access to support groups which allow her to know she is not alone and she would have access to therapy that would benefit her tremendously. All of these things are not available to her now because we cannot get a doctor to give us a diagnosis and without a diagnosis our insurance obviously will not pay for these benefits. This is our story and there are many more out there. If you have a success story or any story related to autism we would love to hear about it. Just leave us a comment with a link to the story or feel free to share the story as a comment.

Are you one of the many who has a child or knows a child with autism? Or do you just want to find a way to support those who have autism? There are plenty of ways out there and you are not alone on wanting to find a cure, or wanting to bring awareness to autism.

Autism speaks is a wonderful organization! It began in 2005 and has grown to be the nation’s largest autism science and advocacy organization, dedicated to funding research for the causes, prevention, treatments and eventually a cure for autism. They are increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.

How you can help:

You can “Light it up Blue!” simply click the light it up blue banner below and learn how you can bring autism awareness to everyone with one simple action.






Scentsy is having a fundraiser for Autism Speaks! When you buy the “Piece by Piece” warmer from Scentsy 100% of the net proceeds goes directly to Autism Speaks! Just click the warmer banner and it will take you directly to the warmer on my website.









To learn more about Autism visit: Autism Speaks


**Update - 5 ways to Support Autism - Brought to you by Self.com

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

3 comments:

One Rich Mother said...

First {{hug}} it is so hard when no one will listen to you. Starting when Aiden was about 2 I started asking his therapist and dr's about possible autism. They kept pushing me off the topic telling me 2 was too young and then 3 was too young and then 4... but finally I got him screened and sure enough it turns out I knew what I was talking about "insert eye roll". For us it finally became important for us to push a diagnoses because we were wanting to put him in public school and he would not qualify for a personal aid without an official diagnoses.
I understand about wanting your child to be able to reach out to others going through similar situations. I have struggled over the decision of whether or not to start taking Aiden to all the little people stuff... for now I am waiting and seeing. With his type of dwarfism his limbs will be proportional to his body so if he ends up close or slightly above 4 foot he may just be perceived as very short and maybe not need the support??? I have to admit to feeling intimidated by the group, they seem very close knit with each other...
So you add autism to the mix and I just dont know what the future will bring for my little guy.
I am sorry your little girl and your family have to go through this with out any local support. : (
Let me know if there is ever a time you just need to vent. I would be honored to listen.

Green Family said...

Thanks so much for your reply to this post. I am glad you got a diagnosis. I wish the best of luck to you and to your son. Take care and I will remember if I need to vent, who I should come to. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you
knew of any widgets I could add to my blog
that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

Check out my blog - http://easyshopassistant.com/

Post a Comment